Saturday, September 12, 2015

All That Space to Decorate

I had a dream during finals week.  In September had I signed up for a graduate class in Anthropogy with some vague idea that I could complete a Ph.D. now that I work at a university and my classes could be free.  Not only that, I could take them in the day – what could be easier? Seems like I forgot a lot about being a student – like how hard it is and how much time it takes. I was profusely sweating a B and the future affections of my largely ignored Silver Fox by November.

But in December I dreamed that I was in this enormous, beautiful room, and a small very comfortable corner of it was oak and bookshelves and an overflowing desk, and I thought, “How beautiful” before I noticed that is was just a small corner.  Then I slowly turned around to the expanse behind me, impossibly high and lined with brilliant light through the glass and absolutely empty, and I thought to myself, “I have all that space to decorate”! 

And so I solved the puzzle of where to put academics in my life.  It was a great relief and I don’t know why I didn’t see it sooner, but I am not ever going to have enough time to dedicate to that one goal.  I instead am looking to fill all the other corners of my room with things that please me as much as books.

Music, for example – I could certainly see a big baby grand piano in front of those mammoth windows.  My father and grandfathers and uncles were all musicians and I learned the keyboard at six, only to forget it all after I left home at eighteen.  Well, maybe not all, but most.  I have a piano, my dad’s in fact, and I never now play because I don’t have the time to be good. That could change.

I’m thinking that this house might not even have a kitchen, as I am sure I can get delivery if I put in a phone; or maybe I will go out hunting, book in hand, for exotic flavors.  I certainly live in the right neighborhood!  After thirty-some years of being chief cook and bottle-washer I am considering hanging those particular pots out to dry for the duration.

A studio will of course be the grandest space, all light and glass, an atelier of my own with speakers aimed at my head from the high high ceiling as I stand in front of my easel.  Groovy.  And an impossibly long row of vertical storage for all the paintings I create and a wall for showing the newest above. It seems so real to me I can smell it.

And separate from that room a room filled with long tables holding sewing machine and fabric, book press and paper, crafty fancies of every kind, the pick of the day. This room has high stools for small people to share with me the luscious tabletop and sharp tools for making lovely things.

And somewhere central and with a huge roof window will sit an enormous electronic screen with every possible means of entertainment and research at the touch of my hand – email, internet, movies, television, libraries – complete interface with the outside world without leaving my comfortable couch. Or wheelchair, if it comes to that. Absolutely fabulous, to keep me in touch.


And so I could continue on and on, but these are some goals to work toward.  Getting academics into my house took a lot of focus, both to perform and to see what it really means to me.  For each of these other interests, all things I love, the same kind of focus will locate its place in my grand scheme, and before I know it I will have decorated much/all? of my space with joyful employment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment