Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Wheel


The wheel turns once more and the world has again sputtered to life. Astrologers tell us that Mercury is in retrograde and we can all expect change; in fact, BIG change. It is a good time clear house and mind for the future: The Year of Living Safely, I guess.

Silver Fox and I were talking at our local bar the other night, in a lubricated fashion, about raising our kids. Over the holidays this year we saw so many of their crowd who once hung out in our living room that we were both feeling all warm and snuggly. I think not every old couple gets the compliment of attention from the younger generation and that we must have done something right to benefit so many years later. Our Christmas Eve open house, a tradition for 32 years, was amuck with children and dogs – the dogs mine, the children not. 

Amid the chaos, there was real warmth. There were hugs and exclamations, eager conversations, laughter over familiar music. And I once again was reminded that first among these is love, and that this is why I make occasions. This is why it is worth the effort.

For all the noisy conflagrations of youthful energy, the turning this year was for me actually a quiet one, devoid of desperate meanings and very much just itself - the beginning of another cycle. The question, of course, is a cycle of what? And the answer, for me, is another year of creating memories, of holding what is dear in my arms and feeling the glow of emotion. Just that, and whatever else I can fit in:)

For me, the advised clearing will have to do with organizing a monumental amount of stuff out of my head so I am more accessible to family and friends, removing the detritus of past goals and the artifacts of false futures so I am free to create the conditions for true success - surrounding myself with love.

What else can I do? After all, as Steinbeck’s Fauna said to Hazel, “the stars have spoke!”

1 comment:

  1. Always love to see the ramblings of your sweet mind. Happy new year to you and Paul and kids.

    ReplyDelete