Thursday, July 19, 2018

Outrage Exhaustion


I saw this term used by a friend of a friend and have not been able to pass up any opportunity to use it since. SO PERFECT!  The last two years have been a helluvaride, but I am sputtering to a stop here - or at least a slow glide. You can only keep up frenzy for so long!

And it was a frenzy at first when 45 "won" the election. Geez geez geez, how could there be enough idiots to even get him close? I read, and signed petitions, and donated my little heart out until it became obvious that nothing anyone said was making any difference.

So I gave up on the petitions, thinking that the flood of lawsuits by People Who Matter would be more effective at taking the whole cohort out. A year passed, and whoops maybe not - whatever happened to those lawsuits? Those absolutely constitutional legal arguments? Those surely-this-will-do-the-trick, certain-to-impeach efforts? Nada. In the words of the old Fugs song, "Monday nothing, Tuesday nothing, Wednesday nothing, Thursday nothing." I quite sending money to politicians I can stomach and just read.

But surely that rat-bastard Mueller's team would get them, and get them good. It did strike me as ultimately ironic that the tried and true FBI lead liar (pants on fire) had become our new Savior, but whatever, go for it, Son. I even gave up scoping the deep state anymore so I could maintain a modicum of support for this effort and not tie myself up in any new knots. But here it is a year later and we have some low-life scum on display with no upward mobility in sight. And if Mueller Mueller He's Our Guy can't do it, who can?

I, like everyone else I know, have outrage exhaustion. I have begun the long trek to save my sanity by unsubscribing to every damn political or social email I get. The race to get Progressives into congress looks exactly like the race to get Democrats into congress looks exactly like the race to get any politician anywhere - Give Me The Money. I can't watch it any more, much less participate. I have instead scheduled far too much yard work and social time this summer to read a thing outside my murder mysteries. Too painful, too useless, and too too fatiguing.

It will take a lot to get my head out of my ass. It seems the only safe place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment