Monday, August 24, 2015

Lookin’ for Life in All the Wrong Places: Five New Perspectives on the Joys of Age


Getting old is indeed a bitch, and I am trying very hard to find where the real positives are.  As I get more aches and pains in the body that once didn’t have hardly any, it is easy to focus on the losses rather than the gains. There is no doubt that I have lost physical power, dexterity, flexibility, and strength, and with those the ability to keep up repairs and housework on the home that I love, move stuff around inside and out to accommodate my many interests, care for two dogs bigger than my grown children, and a whole host of activities with which I have been happy for many many years. have spent the last 10 years dealing with this trajectory and it is easy to see how much work and attention it will take to cope in the future, but my point here is, what else is going on that is on the positive side?  

A few years back I was feeling that losing my power as the female head of family, the one who did dinners and parties and made arrangements for all ritual, was a big loss.  A tragedy even.  At age 60 I still needed dinner service for 12, a drawer full of tablecloths, another of napkins, and a cupboard full of candleabra and vase choices. I am getting over it. Today the thought of a formal meal for 12 is not impossible, but it is not a happy one.  And I see that the inability to physically accommodate that kind of party has freed me from the NEED to have that kind of party.  Big dinners were once a great pleasure for me, but the pleasure of NOT having that kind of party has taken me over.  If I must feed that many people, it will be a pot luck and paper plates!  The hard work of cleaning, prepping, cooking, serving, and clearing up is too much for me now and I joyfully avoid it.

Others joys I have found include:

Less patience with putting myself third.  I have always had plenty of energy and could take care of everyone else without completely abandoning my own needs.  Separate vacations, business of my own, back to school after kids, etc.  But I still FIRST ran the household and met everyone else’s needs. I got my leftover time. While it is still a struggle, I try very hard now to schedule me first. Selfishness has become a virtue.

Greater appreciation for the many many skills I have developed over the long run of years.  There seems to be nothing that I want to do now that I have not already practiced or at least become familiar withA lifetime of experimentation has now to be replaced with choices that are probably my last big ones – at my age there are no longer any Mulligans. While that is scary for me, I find I am comfortable with looking at the wonderful array of skills I have developed that are open to me for future happiness.  This is a place that a younger person could never be; it speaks of accomplishment and future goals at the same time.

Increasing commitment to friends. My family are all busy with their own growth and futures and I am relegated to whatever place they have already put me in their lives anyway.  They probably won’t notice a slight withdrawal from me nearly as much as I will, and my friends have things in common with me that support my future in a way my family do not. I see travel and adult companionship in my future.

The second part of this is that as we begin to fail, there will be increasing sickness and death.  I can ignore this and stick my head into the youth and business of my family, or I can help my friends as much as I can, stand by as they need me.  That means more phone calls and cards and letters and packages and visits.  Anyone who still has her mind can attend others in this way, and although it is bittersweet, it is righteous.

Confidence in my own opinion across a whole range of issues, including my health. We are so used to going to experts for advice about every little thing that it has taken a while to understand that the answers I have sought from them are very often confused and more than occasionally flat out wrong. What I think counts double now, as I am in this body and I know it better than anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment