Thursday, August 20, 2015

Structuring Reality: Buildings as Symbols

Construction projects have been of interest to me for years. I like to watch them.  

In spring of 2009, work began on a new student services and classroom building on the east bank of the Mississippi River, just behind and below the walkway behind my own workplace; I could stand at a wall and look down and over a street into the new gaping hole where a structure had been just weeks before. Good times. This is where I began taking my morning breaks.

As they rearranged the earth and moved in a sky-high crane to maneuver in the limited space, I watched daily while swarms of yellow-pinneyed people and dodging bobcats and huge trucks built structures, poured foundations, moved mountains of supplies, raised pillars, and gradually created solid order out of mass confusion right before my eyes.

At that time I was struggling with how to approach the last part of my life, and struggling as well with finding the motivation to care in the face of what felt like overwhelming confusion and chaos. Friends and family were becoming sick or dying, age was rearing its ugly head all around me. I knew personal choices were going to be required but they all just kept going around and around in my head. I could just work out my time and retire like anyone, but I was thinking that not having goals for the next 20 or more years might get real old real fast.  I don’t like golf. I am not much interested in giving away more of my time: I did a whole bunch of that when I was a stay-at-home mother and entrepreneurial artist, and even more trying to get a second contracting career off the ground in my midyears. Even traveling, which I love, would have financial limits in such a retirement and my partner is not interested.  

On the other hand, I could retire to any of the creative activities I had developed in earlier years, finally becoming a good fine artist or prolific bookmaker or a writer or a volunteer archaeologist (butcher, baker, candlestick maker)–the choices made my head spin.  I must be REALLY old to have done all that stuff!  Then, I was offered an opportunity at my workplace to take an even more intense job designed for my own skills–a chance to grow some career into what is basically an administrative and not creative worklife, and I would not be forced to retire no matter what. What to do????

I began thinking that lives, like buildings, need foundations and carefully planned structure.  Soon I started playing a game with myself by trying to think what things I would need in the foundation of a future planned existence, and all summer as the crew below me poured basement walls and put up supporting pillars, I thought through what I would need to support each of the life scenarios I was considering.   I discovered that at the basement level, each scenario required the same things, that common to all forward motion in my life are the things most important to me now: retaining my relationships with family, assuming joy and finding emotional satisfactions, conducting a life that gives me personal and intellectual satisfactions, and maintaining my body to the degree that it does not interfere with my other goals.

The entire process of watching the new building go up became the analogy that structured my choices for a future that I believe will keep me positive and interested in living during years that so often produce pain and bitterness. The concreteness of the real structure has lent strength to my confidence in my internal structures, and I think that without this I would not have been able to sort what was most important to me, choose what I think is best for me, create the internal fortitude that will realize my bucket list. I emerged excited about my plan and overwhelmed with the power of personal symbols. 

No comments:

Post a Comment